8th Week and End of Michaelmas Term

After 8 weeks, 12 papers, and 105 pages of writing, Michaelmas term has come to a close, and it is time for a well-deserved winter vacation.

Oxford is hard, but I think that goes without saying. These work-intensive 8-week terms can challenge the resolve of the most confident and accomplished student. Managing all of the unstructured free time can be difficult even for the most disciplined student. At times, the tutorials are humbling. But I think that is what is great about Oxford. It may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy a good academic challenge, then this is the place for you.

It is also nice having a frozen Holy Cross GPA. And I do not mean that in the sense that people studying abroad can just slack off for a year. I think that the focus while at Oxford is and should be more about the process of learning, rather than just grade-grubbing, for a lack of a better term. We discuss the papers and their shortcomings and strengths, and then we move on.

Being a week removed from the end of term, I am enjoying life back in the US. As wonderful as Oxford is, the food leaves much to be desired, with one notable exception.

Heaven is a place on Earth

I have a few weeks at home before returning to Europe. I plan to travel before Hilary term starts. I have only been home for a week and I already miss Oxford.

Henry