1st and 2nd Week

I have just completed my first 2 weeks of tutorials, and I think it is safe to say that Oxford is pretty challenging.

The process of studying and reading on your own and then preparing a 2500-3000 word essay to be critiqued in front of you for an hour once or twice a week is something that is both daunting and fun, to be honest.

At Oxford, we take part in the tutorial system, which consists of a weekly primary and secondary that meets every other week. My primary consists of just myself and one other student with the tutor, and for my secondary it is just me and the tutor. And as someone who is often very reserved when it comes to talking in class, in this intimate setting it is very easy to engage with the material and ask questions.

While things seem to be going well for the most part since I’ve arrived, I think that I am definitely still getting the hang of things. 3 all-nighters in 9 days probably isn’t healthy.

But on a more positive note, here are some important personal updates: I’ve been to Nandos 4 times in the last week; the bartender at the local pub already knows me by name and order; and I met J.J. Abrams at an Oxford Union event! 

I will have a picture of me and a few other students with Mr. Abrams at some point soon. Joining the Oxford Union is a must if you end up studying at Oxford. The lineup of famous speakers is truly remarkable. Just the other day, my fellow Holy Cross visiting student and friend Matt met Scaramucci, or “the Mooch”, and got an Instagram picture with him. Pretty cool stuff.

I also ran into a friend of mine from high school randomly at a pub. Turns out that he is also studying abroad at Oxford for the year. Incredibly small world.

Regis at Oxford. Drinking some water after a long day of writing.

Tonight, I am going to a chocolate and champagne party, and then tomorrow I am going to my first Oxford United football (soccer) game of the year. I should have more pictures to come after these events.

Looking forward to more adventures and learning. Wish me luck.

Henry

One Reply to “1st and 2nd Week”

1. A wonderful blog. So much going on – all good and interesting. Your primary and secondary sound wonderful. Remind me not to argue with you.